Research interests are:
- Planetary boundary layers, environmental flows, fluid mechanics.
- Turbulent mixing, shear- and buoyancy-driven flows, entrainment.
- Clouds, latent heat effects, micro-physical effects.
- Turbulent reacting flows.
- Computational fluid dynamics, numerical methods, high-performance computing.
Current funded projects:
- Spanish Ministry of Science, Innovation and University: Turbulence and large coherent structures in the atmospheric boundary layer: Fundamental aspects for parametrizations of cloud formation and for wind-energy applications.
- NIC project HHH07 at the Jülich Supercomputing Centre: Direct Numerical Simulation of Turbulent Mixing in the Planetary Boundary Layer.
Previous funded projects:
- DFG priority programme 1881 Turbulent Superstructures: Convection Cells in the Planetary Boundary Layer: Origin and Reduced Modeling.
- Max Planck Research Group: Turbulent Mixing Processes in the Earth System.
- DFG priority programme 1276 Metstroem: Analysis and Numerical Simulation of Stratocumulus Clouds.
- DKRZ project 573 at the German Climate Computing Center: Direct Numerical Simulation of Climate Relevant Cloud Mixing Processes.